Sewer cleanout in a private house is a serious measure aimed at eliminating the blockage in the sewer pipe. Sewer blockages are a common problem and what is a sewer cleanout we will tell you in this article. There are several ways for sewer cleaning, however, it is much easier to follow measures that will exclude the occurrence of a blockage in the sewer line system.
Table of Contents
- The main causes of blockages
- 4 types of blockages
- How to clean the sewerage system in a private house?
- Rinsing with boiling water
- Cleaning out pipes with vinegar and soda
- Cleaning out the sewage system in a private house with chemicals
- Cleaning out the sewer with a plunger
- Mechanical cleaning of the sewage system
- Hydrodynamic sewer cleanout
- Video about Sewer Cleanout
The main causes of blockages
Traffic jams in sewer pipes are quite common. There are several reasons for such blockages. The main reason can be called incorrect operation of this system. The occurrence of a blockage is accompanied by the following consequences:
– the emergence of an unpleasant odor coming from the drain hole of the sink or other plumbing equipment;
a decrease in the water pressure in the system or its complete disappearance also indicates that the pipe lumen is partially or completely clogged;
– when using a sink or bath, you may notice that water is not removed into the drain hole (this also indicates a clogged sink system);
– raising the water level in the toilet.
To choose a way for sewer cleanout, you first need to understand the cause of its occurrence. Consider why blood clots most often occur in the sewer communication of a private house:
– pipe clogging due to a large object that fell into it and blocked the lumen;
– overgrowth of pipe walls with solid deposits. Such deposits arise from organic and inorganic human waste;
– the formation of a fatty film, which is formed as a result of the ingress of fatty particles into the pipes of the sewer. Fat plugs are considered hazardous to metal pipes.
Helpful information! A fatty film occurs due to improper use of plumbing equipment, into which various food waste containing fat is poured.
– soap cork. Appears during the operation of the sink in the bathroom of a private house. It is rather difficult to get rid of such a blockage, since the soap that has entered the pipe through the sewer drain mixes with other foreign particles and solidifies;
– If hair gets into the bathroom sewer drain and sinks, it can also cause clogging of pipes. Removal of such a plug can be done only in two ways: by chemical cleaning agent and by mechanical means;
– errors in the design and laying of sewer communications, which cause stagnation of water and the rapid occurrence of various deposits in problem areas. In this case, only re-installation of the system will help;
– if the water has a high hardness index, then the rate of formation of salt deposits on the walls of the sewer pipes increases. Metal pipes are the most vulnerable in this case.
Even ordinary toilet paper thrown into the toilet can cause a blockage in the sewer pipe and even water might keep running in the toilet!
4 types of blockages
All blockages are classified by nature into 4 main types. Consider them:
- This type of blockage can occur as a result of the accumulation of fat in the sewer pipes, which accumulates during the operation of plumbing equipment and mixes with other foreign elements (hair, food particles, etc.).
- It occurs as a result of improper use of plumbing and, as a rule, consists of various debris (toilet paper, rags, etc.).
- A biological plug appears due to the disposal of food waste and human waste products. To remove such a blockage, it makes no sense to use pipe cleaners. In such a situation, only disassembling the siphon and cleaning it, followed by washing in soapy water, will help.
- This type of blood clot in the sewer system arises from improper installation of the structure. It is recommended to call a specialist who will carry out the necessary repairs to the system.
All of the above types of blockages are problematic, however, each of them is eliminated in its own way. Further, methods of eliminating various traffic jams will be considered.
How to clean the sewerage system in a private house?
The most common option for removing blockages in the sewer system of a private house is a chemical pipe cleaner. Today, there are a huge variety of cleaning products. A clogged pipe can be cleaned using traditional methods such as boiling water or a solution of baking soda and vinegar. If chemical cleaning does not work, mechanical methods are recommended.
As a rule, the reason for the clogging of the sewer pipes is the incorrect operation of the system. Also, do not forget that a plug in the pipe may appear due to a large object falling into it. In this case, it is recommended to use a mechanical method of cleaning the sewer pipes.
You can cope with the blockage of the sewer pipe using the following common methods:
– simple folk methods (boiling water or soda with vinegar);
– chemicals, which are most popular for removing organic plugs;
– mechanically. This method involves the use of a special plumbing fixture – a cable for cleaning pipes;
– by the hydraulic method. In this case, the sewers can be cleaned using a directed stream of water, which is supplied to the system under high pressure.
Rinsing with boiling water
The use of boiling water allows you to clear the plug in the sewer pipe, formed as a result of the ingress of fat into the system. It is recommended to identify the type of blockage before starting the cleaning itself. There are two types of blockages, depending on the location in the sewer pipeline:
With a general blockage of the system, it will have to be completely cleaned, and with a local blockage, a certain element of the pipeline sewer structure is cleaned. It is recommended to check all sewer drain points to determine the type of blockage. Depending on the rate of disposal of water into the drain, it is possible to determine which pipe is clogged or to establish that the problem lies in the blockage of the riser (if all the drains in the house are not functioning correctly). The process of cleaning the sewer pipe with boiling water itself looks like this: a certain amount of boiling water is poured through the sewer drain into a clogged sewer pipe.
Note! To unclog a clogged sink or pipe, you need to use about 6 liters of water.
Experts do not recommend using boiling water to clean the slow flushing toilet, as a large amount of hot water can damage it. Boiling water can distort plastic pipes. Cleaning the sewer with boiling water is considered the simplest method, but in some cases, such an event can help to cope with the blockage.
Cleaning out pipes with vinegar and soda
Another common folk method for removing blockages in a sewer pipe is to use baking soda and vinegar. Such a means for cleaning sewer pipes differs in that it is able to eliminate organic blockages that have formed in the sewer system during operation. A solution of baking soda and vinegar perfectly cleans pipes clogged with grease.
Consider how to clean your sewer system with baking soda and vinegar:
– First of all, you need to pour baking soda into the drain hole. The amount of baking soda should be about half a glass.
– Next, you need to pour vinegar into the drain hole.
– After that, plug the sewer drain hole with something and wait about 2 hours.
– At the end, the drain hole is uncorked and about 4–5 liters of hot water are poured into the sewer drain.
Such a procedure will allow you to get rid of the fatty blockage, and also ensure the movement of blockage particles along the pipe.
The use of baking soda and vinegar does not guarantee one hundred percent removal of the plug from the sewer pipe. If this event does not bring any results, you must use another sewer cleaning method.
Means for cleaning pipes must be chosen depending on the location of the blockage and its type, since such compounds are acidic or alkaline.
Cleaning out the sewage system in a private house with chemicals
Any chemical compound is aimed at softening and dissolving the waste plug. To select the correct sewer cleaner, you must take into account the nature of the blockage in the sewer pipe.
There are three types of sewage cleaning chemicals, depending on the consistency:
If an area in the system is clogged due to fatty deposits, you must first try a folk remedy for sewer cleaning, and after that, an alkali-based product, which can be purchased at almost any store.
Cleaning a clogged sewer in a private house (with an unidentified nature of the plug in the system) is carried out using acid-based products. This is important because acidic agents do an excellent job of dissolving debris in the sewer pipe.
Many chemical manufacturers recommend leaving powdered products overnight to clean the sewer system. There is one important rule in this regard: if your pipes are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), then this is strongly discouraged. PVC products can be easily damaged by chemical means. When cleaning the sewer from a blockage, in no case should you mix two or more pipe cleaners, which are of different types. This is due to the fact that the simultaneous use of an alkaline and acidic product will lead to a neutralization reaction and this will greatly reduce the cleaning efficiency.
An autonomous sewage system in a private house has a specific structure and there are special means for cleaning some of its components
Cleaning a chemical sewer is quite simple, but one more important rule should be taken into account: before starting this event, it is advisable to study the instructions on the packaging of the cleaning agent.
Cleaning out the sewer with a plunger
This method involves the use of a plunger, through which a water hammer is applied to the blockage in the sewer. Cleaning with a sewer plunger allows you to achieve the required pressure for a water hammer.
Consider in stages the process of cleaning a sewer pipe clogged in a private house using this device:
- The first step is to fill the sink or bathtub with water. It is important to remember that the water level must be above the rubber element of the plunger.
- Next, the tool must be placed over the sewer drain hole.
- Then translational movements are made by acting on its handle. The pressure should be about 15–20.
Cleaning with a sewer plunger allows you to get rid of all sorts of blockages. The main task in such a situation is to influence the trash plug with pressure and break it down, followed by pushing the blockage elements further along the sewer pipe.
If, after carrying out 3 cycles according to the above scheme, the pipe is still clogged, then it is necessary to try another sewer cleaning method.
Helpful information! You can combine two options for cleaning the sewer line system, namely: using a plunger and chemicals.
If the blockage is very dense or has an inorganic origin, it can only be removed mechanically.
Mechanical cleaning of the sewage system
Mechanical cleaning of the sewer structure is carried out using a special plumbing device – a cable. Such a cable is able to break a trash plug and clean the sewer system, which has been clogged with various large foreign elements (toilet paper, rags, debris, etc.).
Plumbing cable is a metal cable that can be made with a spiral texture. At one end of the cable there is a special nozzle, which can have a different shape (nozzle-petal, dense narrow nozzle or another), and on the other – a handle, for the convenience of cleaning work. The shape of the nozzle is selected depending on the nature of the blockage in the sewer pipe.
Cleaning of sewer line networks by means of a plumbing cable is carried out as follows:
- Cleaning with a sewer cable begins with the fact that the cable is carefully placed through the sewer drain hole into the sewer pipe. The main advantage of such a tool is its flexibility, thanks to which the cable can reach the localization of the garbage jam without any problems.
- When the blockage is reached, resistance will be felt, so it will not be difficult to determine its localization. It is necessary to check 3-4 times whether the plug has been reached. For this, the cable is pulled back, and repeated forward movements are made.
- After the cable rests against the blockage, slowly begin to rotate its opposite end. This is done to break the trash plug.
With the help of a plumbing cable, you can cope with complex clogging of the sewer pipe. The main rule that should be observed with such cleaning is to be careful.
Hydrodynamic sewer cleanout
Such cleaning of the sewer pipe is carried out if all of the above methods have not yielded any results. With this method, as a rule, the external sewage system is cleaned. This option for cleaning the external sewage system is considered the most effective. This is due to the fact that with the help of cleaning with standing water under pressure, you can cope with a blockage of any complexity.
The hydrodynamic method is the most effective, it allows you not only to break the plug, but also to clean the pipe walls from plaque
The use of this method has one more advantage: in addition to the main localized cork from garbage, the inner walls of the sewer system are also cleaned.
The device for hydrodynamic dewer cleaning has the form of a hose with a special nozzle. The nozzle is perforated, that is, it is characterized by the presence of holes through which jets of water under pressure are supplied. The device includes a device that injects the required pressure indicators.
Note! The device for hydrodynamic cleaning of the sewer pipeline is quite expensive, however, for this purpose, you can use a regular garden hose, which can also cope with some blockages in the sewer pipe.
All of the above methods can come in handy if your sewer gets clogged. As mentioned above, you must first determine the type and location of the blockage, and only then choose the appropriate option for its elimination. In addition, if necessary, you can always use the services of a professional.