Diy Pull Up Bar At Home Step By Step Instructions
You don’t have to go to the gym to keep your back and arm muscles in good shape. One of the main sports equipment – a horizontal diy pull bar – can be installed at home, even in a small apartment. If you want to save money then your variant is a diy pull bar.
Table of Contents
- Types of horizontal diy pull up bars
- Types of horizontal diy pull up bars for indoor and doorway
- Functionality views
- Pros and cons of diy pull up bar designs
- List of materials and tools for the manufacture of horizontal pull up bars
- How to choose the diameter of the diy pull up crossbar
- Fixing rules: about the length of the anchor and the number of fixing points
- How to make and install a horizontal diy pull up bar
- 2 doorway options
- Separate horizontal wall mounted pull up bar or ceiling pull up bar
- Hinged – for wall pull up bars
- Video diy pull up bar at home
Types of horizontal diy pull up bars
Structurally, the horizontal pull up bar can be divided according to 2 criteria:
- At the place of installation – indoors or doorway.
- In terms of functionality, it will only be a horizontal pull up bar, or other shells will be combined with it.
Let’s take a closer look at these differences.
Types of horizontal diy pull up bars for indoor and doorway
If you need to make a horizontal bar for an apartment (room), the following options are available:
– Wall-mounted – attached to a “clean” section of the wall. -Constructively made in the form of a supporting part (which is attached to the wall with bolts) and a crossbar removed from it.
-Wall – above the doorway. Structurally, the same as a conventional wall horizontal pull up bar, only it is installed above the doorway. It is more convenient for the user that the legs will not rest or cling to the wall when pulling up.
-Corner. Another wall option. The horizontal bar is mounted on two adjacent walls forming an angle. The advantage over a simple wall structure is that it is more securely attached to the wall.
-Sliding, mounted in the doorway. Not everyone will be able to make such a product on their own – it is more difficult to manufacture. Another drawback is that a poor-quality design may not withstand a lot of weight. The advantage is ease of installation and quick dismantling.
-Hanged between two walls located close to each other. They are hung from the wall to the wall no more than 1-1.5 meters.
-Removable between two walls close to each other. Variant of the previous point. In this case, the cross pull up bar itself is not attached to the walls. Grooves are cut into them, into which you can put the crossbar. After completing the exercises, the horizontal pull up bar is removed, the grooves remain on the walls.
-Hinged for the Swedish wall (if there is one in the room).
-Ceiling. Ceiling mounted.
Also if you have your own house and pretty yard – you can make a stone retaining wall and there you can put a diy pull bar – it will be powerful and not as usual as everyone puts pull bars.
If a horizontal pull up bar needs to be built for the street, the following options are available:
1.A cross pull up bar between two trees (if 2 thick trees grow at a distance of up to 2-2.5 m from each other).
2.Single standing horizontal pull up bar.
The simplest version is a simple cross pull up bar attached to a suitable surface. On such a horizontal bar, you can just pull yourself up.
The structure can be upgraded in several ways:
-Adding several handles to the crossbar, allowing you to take on different grip. A different grip will allow you to distribute the load on the muscles in a different way.
-Adding the pull up bars.
Pros and cons of diy pull up bar designs
There is only one advantage: you yourself can make a structure that is ideal for free space in the apartment.
Of the obvious disadvantages:
A homemade horizontal pull up bar is unlikely to cost less than a purchased one. Only the material will have to be spent in the region of 20$ – not to mention the costs of welding and cutting metal (if you do not do it yourself). A simple wall mounted horizontal pull up bar will cost around 20-30$ if you take a new one in a store. That is, this method cannot be called economical.
Time costs. Depending on the model, you will have to spend at least 2-3 hours manufacturing and fastening (not counting calculations and a trip to the store for material).
The complexity of metal processing at home. If you do not have a free garage, basement or workshop, you will have to work with metal in an apartment. It is both noisy and dirty, and you can stain (with metal filings, at least) the interior.
To summarize: a homemade horizontal perfect pull up bar is worth doing if you like to tinker with something, or want to get something unusual that is not in the store.
List of materials and tools for the manufacture of horizontal pull up bars
The list of materials will depend on the selected type of horizontal pull up bar. Therefore, we give a general list of what may be required – without specific sizes and quantities:
1 round tube about 100-110 cm long – for the cross pull up bar.
1 square tube with a cross section of 30-40 mm, about 3-4 meters long – to create a frame. It will need to be cut into several pieces (the length and number of pieces will depend on the design).
For processing you will need:
Tool for cutting metal (saw, grinder).
File (for processing metal after cutting).
Marker and ruler.
Drill (to drill holes in the horizontal pull up bar for fasteners).
Paint and brush (to color the finished product).
How to choose the diameter of the diy pull up crossbar
To choose the diameter for the size of your hand, you need to measure the width of your palm at the base of your fingers and multiply the resulting number (in centimeters) by 3.3. The result should be rounded up, preferably up to 5 or 0.
For example, if your palm is 9 cm wide, multiplying by 3.3 gives 29.7. This means that the diameter of the cross best pull up bar should be 30-35 mm.
Fixing rules: about the length of the anchor and the number of fixing points
This question is relevant if the horizontal pull up bar is planned to be hung on the wall in the apartment. Of course, it’s not about drywall – you can’t attach a horizontal pull up bar to it.
The main indicator for calculating attachment points: the bearing capacity of 1 point, including bending and shear: it must be at least 130 kg / s.
The number of fasteners is calculated using the following formula:
(Рн х 2.5) / 130, where:
- Estimated load – for an adult man weighing about 80 kg will be about 200 kg.
- 2.5 – fixed coefficient.
3.130 – minimum bearing capacity of 1 point.
The result should be rounded up to the nearest even number.
Let’s give an example, if a person weighing 80 kg will be engaged in a horizontal pull up bar (that is, the design load is 200 kg):
(200 × 2.5) / 130 = 3.85.
Round up to 4 – there should be a minimum of attachment points. For reliability, you can add 2 more points – up to 6.
All indicators above are average minimum, relevant for an adult man, weighing up to 80-90 kg.
As for the fasteners themselves: only bolts from M8 in size are suitable, and only in steel anchors. Plastic dowels cannot be used (unless the horizontal pull up bar is hung not for an adult man, but for a child weighing up to 35-40 kg).
Depth to which the anchor should be inserted into the wall:
– Not less than 120 mm – for concrete.
– Not less than 150 mm – for bricks.
– Not less than 180 mm – for solid timber.
– Not less than 220 mm – for conifers or glued beams.
– The bolt must protrude outward by no more than 20 mm.
How to make and install a horizontal diy pull up bar
Since there are many ways to create each method, we will consider only one at a time, for example.
One of the easiest options in terms of implementation for a narrow section of the corridor. You will need:
- Round pipe with a diameter of 20-30 mm. The length is equal to the width of the doorway (or the distance between the walls), but during installation it may be necessary to shorten it slightly.
- A metal plate with a thickness of 3-5 mm, width – along the width of the door extension.
- 2 pieces of wood about 10 × 10 × 3 cm – for the “nest” in which the cross pull up bar will sit. The bars can be replaced with plywood, a semicircular metal plate (if the horizontal pull up bar is removable) or a pipe cut (3-5 cm long) of such a diameter that the cross pull up bar can be inserted into it.
The installation process looks like this:
– The height of the cross pull up bar is selected.
– Sockets are attached to metal plates. If the nests are metal, they are welded to the plates. If wooden – a hole (round or semicircular) is cut in the tree for the cross pull up bar, and the piece of wood itself is attached to the wall over the plates.
– The plates cut into the door frame at the selected height.
– The cross pull up bar is “fitted” into the slots and trimmed as necessary. It will definitely be necessary to cut it – at least because the plates on both sides will take a few millimeters.
– The pull up bar fits into the slots. If the nests are semicircular, it can be easily removed. If the sockets are round – after installation, the cross pull up bar can only be removed together with the plates.
2 doorway options
For the street, there are 2 simple options:
Between 2 trees, if they grow at a distance of no more than 2-2.5 meters.
Construction of a free-standing U-shaped horizontal bar.
In the first case, the crossbar cuts into the tree into 2 plates, as described above. If the distance between trees is more than 1.7-2 meters, it is advisable to add 2 oblique pipes to the tree to the crossbar (for additional support).
When creating a U-shaped horizontal bar, 2 square pipes with a size of about 7 × 7-10 × 10 cm are dug into the ground (ideally with a concrete base). The distance between the support pipes is about 150 cm. A crossbar is welded between them.
Separate horizontal wall mounted pull up bar or ceiling pull up bar
We will consider the simplest design. You can hang it both on the wall and on the ceiling.
To create you need:
Round pipe for the crossbeam, 100-120 cm long.Optionally: you can bend the extreme 15-20 cm at a slight angle to the floor, and also weld 2 more short tubes (12-15 cm long, the distance between the tubes is about 18-25 cm ) perpendicular to the bar – for a different grip.
2 metal plates or corners, 35 × 5 cm.
4 metal square pipes, 43 × 5 cm. Instead of a square one, you can use a rectangular pipe of the same length.
If your weight is more than 90 kg, for reliability, 2 more plates can be welded between 2 plates – so that they form a rectangle. Additional attachment points can be made in long plates.
All elements are fastened together by welding, assembling the structure according to the scheme above.
Hinged – for wall pull up bars
If there are wall mounted pull up bars in the room, you can make a horizontal best pull up bar that will be hung on it.
As a basis, you can take the design from the drawings on the Internet by slightly changing them. The plates are taken longer (about 50-60 cm), bent. The bent section must completely “wrap around” the pull up bar of the Swedish wall, with a margin of at least a few centimeters.