Siding surfaces periodically need repair of individual elements. Most often, the panels are damaged by strong sharp impacts with sharp objects; the split areas cannot be restored, and therefore the only way out is to replace them. Standard vinyl siding repair does not require special skills, so almost everyone can do it. So how to how to repair vinyl siding, please continue reading
Table of Contents
- Vinyl repair of conventional panel easy steps
- Installation of siding on your own
- About overtighten and tighten the metal siding
- DIY vinyl siding installation
- The advantages for vinyl siding
- Some disadvantages to using siding for cladding
- Types of vinyl siding
- Characteristics of vinyl siding
- The installation process of vinyl siding
- Setting up the starting strip
- Installation of obtuse and sharp corners
- The process of finishing siding of window and door openings
- Finishing window and door openings
- The rule of thumb for twisting siding
- The essence of the installation process of vinyl siding
- General information about diy vinyl siding
- Diy vinyl siding repair
- The instructions for replacing the siding panel
- Repair of a swollen sheet
- Video vinyl siding repair
When making facade cladding, you should buy vinyl siding with a margin, so that, if repair is needed, you can easily find the material of the desired shade.
Vinyl repair of conventional panel easy steps
You need the following tools:
The worn-out panel is removed using a special mounting hook, which releases the fastening of the damaged element’s lock.
To neatly dismantle the unusable panel, a special mounting hook is used. Between this panel and the one that is located above, the end of the hook is inserted into the lock and carefully pulled first down, and then along the sheathing, freeing the fastener. When the lock has been unfastened along its entire length, the top panel must be folded over to reveal the access to the nail strip.
With the help of a nail driver or screwdriver, all fasteners are removed; if individual nails cannot be pulled out, they should be hammered tightly into the crate. By the way, this point should be taken into account even when installing the cladding: replacement of damaged parts will happen much faster if the elements were fastened only with self-tapping screws.
The new panel is applied in place of the removed one and secured with self-tapping screws. It is important to remember that it is impossible to tightly tighten the screws or drive nails into the holes on the siding, since the material is slightly deformed from the temperature drop. Next time not to repair hole in vinyl siding. Without the ability to freely taper and expand, it will deform even more, which over time will lead to swelling and cracking of the skin. After fixing the panel to the crate, the locks must be latched using the same hook. So that after repair the siding does not differ in color, material should be purchased with a margin for the initial sheathing.
Due to the uneven shrinkage of the building, swollen areas appear on the siding cladding. It is not difficult to get rid of such a defect: for this you need to install a reliable spacer between the two parts of the lock.
With the help of wooden beams – it is allowed to mount such elements under any types of metal siding panels. However, everyone knows that wood is not able to withstand moisture and mold. Even in spite of all the impregnations with which wood is processed, over time it still falls under the influence of atmospheric precipitation.
With the help of metal profiles – this option is more successful in terms of reliability. Metal profiles are not afraid of water, do not rot, do not have the properties of expansion and deformation, and they are also easier to mount on uneven walls. With the help of suspensions, it is possible to smooth out the differences and set the profile by level
In the case of a wooden crate, everything is more complicated. When buying wood, you need to make sure that there are no deformations, delamination, and traces of rot on the material. Before installing the frame, you need to soak the materials with a fire retardant and antiseptic. For structures made of wood, such impregnations are also necessary.
The lathing device must be carried out correctly. To do this, the old finish must be removed from the surface, in the event that it peels off, and it is also necessary to dismantle the platbands, grilles and lanterns.
For all guides, there is a rule – they should be installed at the same distance of 30-40 cm. There should be no connections between them – due to this, ventilation prevents the manifestation of fungus.
Unfortunately, metal siding does not have thermal insulation properties. Therefore, it is advisable to lay a layer of insulation under the crate. But if the installation of thermal insulation material is optional, then the installation of the wind membrane is mandatory. Installation of metal siding is best done horizontally. That is why the profiles must be installed vertically. If the base is made of wood, then it is correct to use screws or nails, and for concrete or brick structures, dowels will help, for which holes are drilled in the walls. This work is not easy, but quite doable.
In order for the work on the external insulation to proceed correctly, it is necessary to use two battens. One will be for the insulation layer, and the other for securing the metal siding panels.
Some masters say that it is possible to lay an insulating layer under the crate. This is certainly possible, but not very convenient. Although if you decide to use this method, it will not be worse to fulfill its obligations to keep the heat in the house.
The next step is to secure the drainage Since it is a rigid structure, it will not be a problem to install it. After that, work begins with corner profiles – they are fixed with self-tapping screws.
Useful information about diy garage cabinets check here.
Installation of the starting profile takes place on the drainage, but the window strips are attached along the entire perimeter of the window space. For arches and doors, the well-known J-profiles are used, and the H-profiles are fixed at a level. The finishing strip is fixed at the very end before the installation of the last row of panels takes place.
When arranging metal siding or other types of panels, it is necessary to install the starting profile as evenly as possible. For this, a laser or level will help. Working with this profile is the most important, since the starting bar sets the path for the entire skin. For panels, the starting profile is the basis for installation.
Installation of siding on your own
The cladding of houses plays an important role in the appearance and therefore metal siding can completely change the facade of a house. But for this you need to properly equip the crate, all additional elements and fix the metal siding. Step-by-step instructions will help beginners to cope with this work on their own.
As it has already become clear, the installation of the first row of the metal siding panel takes place on the starting profile. The fastening of all panels is the same, but there are some nuances:
The best article on how to make a diy pull up bar at home and step by step instructions here on this link.
About overtighten and tighten the metal siding
The panels should fidget a little – due to this, the sheathing does not deform during thermal expansion
For joining panels along the length, it is customary to use the H-profile. Thanks to him, you will not have any ramifications that you have to dock. Match the element to the siding color
Before installing the last row of siding, a finishing strip is installed under the roof, into which the panel is wound. It is not necessary to cut the siding strips before installation. It is better to do all the work locally. House cladding and metal siding installation is possible in any optimal weather – for many, this is a great advantage of the material among other types of facade decoration.
When I completed the installation of metal siding, I asked an important question: how should the panels be repaired, and is it possible to carry out such processes independently? For the answer, I hurried to my friend, who for 10 years already enjoyed a house with siding. And as it turned out, more than once he carried out repairs and replacement of damaged panels himself. He willingly agreed to help me deal with this issue, but before that he gave good advice. It consisted in the fact that when buying, you need to purchase a product with a margin not only for waste and trimming, but also for possible repairs in the future. The fact is that no one knows when some kind of defect will appear on the surface, and whether it will appear at all, but in case of failure, you will have to go and buy material that simply may not be available or it will change its shade over time.
DIY vinyl siding installation
To replace panels with your own hands, you will need the following tools:
So how exactly to repair vinyl siding? Repair, as well as installation of siding, is not as scary as it might seem. If you have the necessary materials at your fingertips, then don’t worry. If you have already managed to do the cladding with your own hands, then replacing the damaged panel will not be difficult at all. It happens that chipped or holes appear on the siding. Although the material has the property of resistance to mechanical damage, under heavy load it can still deform or chip.
This is usually the case for vinyl siding. In order to remove an unusable panel, you need to insert a mounting hook between it and the top panel. To free the attachment point, it is worth pulling the hook first down, and then along the panels – this must be done very carefully and with some effort. Using a screwdriver, unscrew all existing screws. By the way, if you used to fasten nails, then use a nailer.
However, even in the process of choosing fasteners, it is worth considering that with self-tapping screws, the repair of panels and their dismantling with your own hands will be much faster.
After you remove the old and damaged panel, it is enough to take a new one and fix it in the same way. If you used nails, then with nails, and if you used screws, then with screws. Do not forget, as during installation, do not screw the self-tapping screws very hard, because when heated, the material will deform and it needs free space for a small expansion. When the panel is installed, then again, using the mounting hook, it is worth returning the casing to its place and snapping the material.
If swollen areas appear on your facade, then you should not immediately sound the alarm. The fact is that this is normal for houses prone to shrinkage. To correct this panel defect, it is necessary to insert a spacer. Repair of such areas is possible with a hook, pencil and steel starter strip. We take a mounting hook and use it to bend the curved element out of the lock. This must be done along the entire length of the strip. A steel element is inserted into the gap that will then appear and the necessary marks are made to cut the required piece of the strip. When the cut is made, it is inserted between the locking hook at the top and the lock of the siding strip below. Thanks to this method, repairing panels with your own hands is low-cost.
As you can see, repairing a panel or a damaged area with your own hands is quite simple and, if you wish, you can easily do it yourself. The main thing is not to forget to purchase siding with a margin in advance and do not start installing it immediately after purchase. With proper installation of the cladding, you will not need to carry out any repair work for a long time. Do-it-yourself siding installation will allow you to significantly save on the vinyl siding repair cost of finishing the facade of your home.
Any construction of a private house ends with finishing work. For this process, everyone chooses their favorite material. One of the most popular materials to carry out finishing work on the facade of a building is to use siding.
This type of material has a number of features, has a difference in types, as well as nuances during installation, which will be interesting for those who decide to carry out the installation of siding with their own hands.
Such material began to be produced relatively recently, but has already become widespread due to its advantages over other finishing materials. It is a cladding panel equal in thickness to 1 mm, which has various shape variations.
Click now and you will find out 7 ways to get nail polish out of a carpet.
The advantages for vinyl siding
- Low vinyl siding repair cost of all work on the arrangement of the facade due to the low cost of the material itself and the installation process;
- resistance to constant exposure to UV rays and moisture;
- long service life, which, with correctly performed installation work, is 50 years;
- no need to carry out additional work on the processing or finishing of the material itself. Siding is not painted or impregnated with any substances, because n is resistant to corrosion and combustion;
- variations in appearance that allow you to choose the most suitable option for a harmonious design performance;
- the ability to carry out installation work regardless of weather conditions and time of year, because the material is resistant to temperatures from -50 o +50;
- the installation process requires a minimum amount of tools, as well as skills in construction. Even a beginner can carry out the installation of siding;
- ease of care during use.
Some disadvantages to using siding for cladding
- The installation process requires special care and scrupulousness of the approach. In the event of a mistake made in the process of fastening the material, there is a greater likelihood of damaging the panel;
- gaps remain at the joints of the panels, due to which it becomes necessary to lay special materials that provide protection from wind and moisture;
- siding is not highly resistant to mechanical damage, but this is made up for by an easy replacement process in case of damage to the panel.
Types of vinyl siding
As mentioned above, no special tool is required for installation work.
The list of tools that must be prepared before starting work is as follows:
- Sharpened knife;
- It is used as an alternative to a knife, with its help you can get a beautiful and neat cut;
- Drill or hammer drill. Needed for enlarging and making new holes necessary for attaching panels;
- Building level. It is most convenient to use the laser version;
The process of installation work on the installation of vinyl siding repair begins with the construction of the lathing.
Characteristics of vinyl siding
- If the laying of the siding is carried out in a horizontal plane, then it is necessary to install the crate vertically;
- In the case of using wooden blocks, their cross-section should be in the range from 20 to 40 mm;
- The construction of the guides starts from the left edge of the wall, after which a horizontal guide is fixed from the bottom and then in the corner on the right. Additionally, strapping of all openings is made;
- When installing the battens, a distance of 30-40 cm is observed. In addition, in the process of attaching the battens, the location of various elements that will be located on the facade of the building are taken into account. In some cases, for the correct execution of the structure, it is necessary to attach additional strips;
- Attachment is carried out using dowels – in the case of brick walls or self-tapping screws if the walls of the house are wooden.
- Fastening of the siding itself to the crate is recommended to be carried out from the bottom of the wall, so it is possible to achieve good protection of the next layer of the wall.
- If the house is clad with siding, then it is recommended to install thermal insulation and waterproofing, because the siding material does not protect the building surface well enough from wind and moisture.
- Such layers are laid even before the construction of the siding lathing. The lathing is carried out for laying the insulation material, while leaving a small gap between the insulation and the wall.
- After that, the insulation is covered with a waterproofing film, which is attached using a construction stapler.
- After they finish the process of providing the house with heat and waterproofing, they begin to create the lathing for attaching the siding.
- The further installation process is divided into several stages, which are described in more detail below. Also, an important point in this process is the installation of siding near the location of windows and doors, as well as the installation of H-profiles.
- The beginning of the vinyl siding installation process begins with attaching the starter bar. It is installed along the entire perimeter of that part of the structure, which is intended for sheathing or completely at home.
The starting strip has no special requirements, because later it is covered with other panels. Its color can be absolutely any and it can be composed of segments.
Fantastic article about 15-20 Best Gabion Wall Ideas for the Backyards only on this site.
The installation process of vinyl siding
- Initially, they mark the places in which the fastening will be carried out. To do this, screws are screwed along the lowest line of the wall, while retreating a distance equal to the width of the bar itself;
- After that, the thread is pulled between the self-tapping screws and its tension is checked using the level;
- The resulting level on the wall is repeated with chalk – this is the line along which it is necessary to attach the starting strip;
- It is advisable to check every third row of the attached starting bar so that there is no deviation from the level;
- After the above manipulations, the bar is fixed.
Setting up the starting strip
Given that the siding material has a high level of flexibility, it will not be difficult to trim the corners of the house with it. If the corner in the building is obtuse, then the panel is pressed down, if it is sharp, it is compressed.
Initially, a corner strip is attached, into which ordinary panels will later be inserted. They begin to fasten from the repair hole located in the upper part, screwing a self-tapping screw into it. In this hole, the self-tapping screw is placed as much as possible at the top point, in the remaining holes the fastening element is located in the middle.
After installing the corner strips, the prepared corresponding panels are attached to the corners. If you don’t want to make such a panel yourself, you can purchase a ready-made J-profile.
Installation of obtuse and sharp corners
This stage of cladding is quite simple, but it is very important to correctly determine the places where you need to fix the bar. The P-profile is fixed in the same way with the process of setting the corners.
The step-by-step instructions are as follows:
- Install the lower bar, after which the upper one;
- if there is a need to lengthen the bar, then cut off small pieces, 5-7 cm long;
- the profiles are fastened with an overlap.
- There should be an abutment of the starting strips to the joints of the H-profiles and in no case vice versa.
If you do not want to install this kind of profile, then you need to overlap the siding.
The process of finishing siding of window and door openings
- Initially, an external double-sided profile is mounted at the corners of the slopes, to which the side-legged panel is attached;
- When fastening the profile, it is very important to observe the location of the fastening element in the center of the hole. This will prevent deformation of the profile;
- The perimeter of the window is equipped with a J-profile, on which the panels are then attached, cut in accordance with the required dimensions;
- It is recommended to arrange the panels in a horizontal plane, this will allow the material to be in operation for the longest possible period.
Everything you should know about garage door openings in our tutorial guide.
Finishing window and door openings
During the installation process, one of the most important conditions for the high-quality performance of work is the fastening of the material according to certain rules:
- The distance that must be observed when screwing in self-tapping screws should be within 25-30 cm;
- when hammering in nails or screwing in hardware, an angle of 90 degrees between the fastener and the plane must be observed;
- the location of the nails or hardware should be in the center of the hole set for this. This method of fastening allows the panel to move during the expansion process, maintaining its shape and integrity;
- it is not necessary to tighten the screws tightly; a space of 1 mm should be left between the head of the fastener and the surface;
- it is imperative to ensure the distance between the starting bars, which are located next to each other. The gap is left equal to 5-7 mm, it is necessary to compensate for the linear expansion of the siding;
- installation on the corner parts of the wall should not be carried out in full, because other special corner strips are used to arrange the corners;
- If staples are used to attach the siding, then a clearance of 1 mm is also necessary.
The rule of thumb for twisting siding
- while tightening the self-tapping screw, put a coin under it and tighten it all the way;
- immediately tighten the fastener element to the maximum, after which the clamp is relaxed by 1 turn.
There are two options with which the panels are laid: in a circular direction or each wall separately. From a technical point of view, there is no difference in how to carry out the installation, the only question is convenience.
The essence of the installation process of vinyl siding
- The first strip of panels is inserted into the grooves of the corner or H-shaped profiles, after which they are fastened using self-tapping screws, observing their location along the central point of the lock. Fastening of hardware is carried out from the central point of the panel to the edge, adhering to the direction to the vertical strips;
- Next, the panel is lowered to the starting plate and snapped into place, while it is very important to make sure that the lock connection has the correct adhesion between the elements. The location of the two elements of the lock should be parallel to each other and not have any deflection angles;
- During the adhesion of the elements, the panel must not be stretched, this can lead to deformation of the locks;
- After installing the panel, it is fixed with hardware;
- The rest of the rows of siding are laid in the same way, except for the last one.
It is more convenient to insert the panel if it is slightly pre-bent. After clicking the lock, the correct connection can be made by moving the bar in the horizontal plane – it must move freely.
The last row has some features in its fastening process, it is laid as follows:
- Initially, the finish bar is fixed;
- after that, the distance that remains from the last laid siding row is measured, which will correspond to the size of the last panels;
- further in the horizontal plane, an arcuate bend of the strip is carried out and brought into the lock and the finish bar.
General information about diy vinyl siding
A home decoration material like vinyl siding is a beautiful, convenient and practical solution for arranging a private house. The indisputable advantage of acquiring such material is the ability to carry out all installation work with your own hands. which significantly reduces repair costs.
Siding is one of the most popular materials for facades. It is distinguished by its reasonable price, ease of installation and excellent appearance. Unfortunately, vinyl panels are not very durable, as a result of which over time you may need to repair the siding.
Diy vinyl siding repair
Siding is the name given to plastic or metal cladding panels, which are very popular these days. Vinyl siding repair today is more popular than metal, because vinyl siding repair cost is lower, and the color palette is much wider. And perhaps the only drawback of the material is its low strength (in comparison with other types of cladding).
Therefore, when installing such panels as cladding, you must be prepared for the fact that sooner or later you will have to replace some elements of the facade. There is nothing complicated in this, and home craftsmen easily cope with this procedure with their own hands, especially since the contractor will ask for a fairly decent amount for such work, incommensurate with the volume of the work itself.
Vinyl siding can deteriorate for several reasons:
- Siding panels can melt during extreme heat.
- The brittleness of the material increases greatly in cold weather. At very low temperatures, low-quality panels can crack by themselves.
- Vinyl cladding is very poorly resistant to mechanical stress. This becomes especially noticeable if children live in the house. Playing in the yard, they often damage the cladding (even a strong ball hit sometimes leads to surface damage).
- Correct fastening of the cladding.
Thin and flexible vinyl panels are susceptible to deformation due to temperature changes. These deformations are insignificant and invisible to the naked eye, but they should be taken into account when installing the cladding.
Plastic panels are fixed to the wall of the house with nails or dowels, which are driven into elongated holes. This shape of the holes is necessary in order not to interfere with seasonal deformations of the material. Therefore, it is very important to install the panels not too tightly to each other in order to allow them to contract and expand freely.
Otherwise, the siding will not be able to move freely under the influence of temperatures, which is the most common mistake that occurs when installing this material. This leads to deformations and cracks in the lining. Also, when installing the siding, a gap should be left between the nail head and the panel.
The instructions for replacing the siding panel
- We insert the end of the mounting hook into the lock located on the damaged panel.
- Pull the mounting hook down and along the siding to release the hook.
- We bend the top panel, revealing access to the nail bar of the damaged segment.
- We pry the top sheet with a mounting hook to get to the nail strip.
If any fasteners do not pull out, you can simply hammer it into the crate, tearing out the panel.
Now we install a new structural element, fixing it to the crate with self-tapping screws or nails.
Using the mounting hook, we snap the plastic locks.
Most often, the front part of the corner profile for siding suffers.
If this happens, then the repair of the cladding can be carried out without disassembling the cladding:
- We cut off the front strip from the damaged corner profile, while leaving the nail strip with the bottom of the receiving gutter intact.
- We take a whole profile and cut off the front plate from it.
- We attach the new part to the old nail strips using rivets (vinyl or nylon). Repair of J and H-profiles is carried out in the same way.
- We are repairing the corner profile.
Very often, in a hurry, it happens that the structure is sheathed with siding without waiting for the walls and foundations to shrink. We are talking about the final shrinkage, which takes time, which modern construction companies do not have, which are in a hurry to take on a new profitable order.
As a result, the individual siding sheets swell up. This is very often observed at the junction of wooden attics and brick walls. This is because wood and brick have different rates and shrinkage rates, resulting in various distortions.
One of very useful stuff at your house is a humidifier – 20 diy humidifier ideas to Humidify Your House that might be interested for you.
Repair of a swollen sheet
- We release it from the lock using the mounting hook.
- We straighten the removed panel.
- A steel starter strip is inserted into the gap formed in the lining, on which the distance between the lock of the lower part and the locking hook of the removed part should be marked with a pencil. Thus, the main purpose of this work is to install a spacer between the parts of the lock. The spacer will prevent subsequent deformation of the panel.
- Install the spacer.
- We install the straightened sheet in place.
Most of the problems associated with cracks in the cladding layer can be avoided if the house is properly renovated with vinyl siding, as mentioned in this article. Correctly laid panels will serve you faithfully for many years. To carry out the repair of a vinyl siding that has fallen into disrepair will not be difficult, even for a beginner.