With the arrival of spring and the awakening of nature from sleep, weeds are sure to begin to spread in the backyard. In this article we will tell you how to get rid of all weeds cast in your green area permanently.
Table of Contents
- What are weeds?
- Herbicides: features of drugs to control weeds.
- Classification of herbicides.
- Rules for choosing herbicides to get rid of weeds.
- Fighting with weeds in “manual mode”.
- Mulching as a way to control weeds.
- Folk methods to defeat the weeds cast.
- A vinegar to overcome the weeds.
- Broadleaf weeds, weeds with purple flowers and finger-grasses weeds.
- What will reduce the amount of weeds on the lawn.
- Proper lawn care.
What are weeds?
Weeds are wild plants that occur in all latitudes. They bring special troubles to farmers, as they pollute crops. It is difficult to fight weeds by traditional methods both on an industrial scale and in country sites. Of course, many gardeners are interested in how to get rid of weeds forever. But, given the diversity and survival of weeds cast, this is impossible. But there are methods that simplify the fight against weeds.
Herbicides: features of drugs to control weeds
There are more than a hundred thousand species of weeds. And they all have incredible mechanisms of adaptation – they form a large number of seeds with almost 100% cyclic germination, propagate in different ways, have a protective shell, propagated by branches and roots. Weeds take away water and light from cultivated plants, as well as nutrients. And if you do not fight them, the future harvest may be completely destroyed.
The traditional way to get rid of weeds is weeding. But such measures give only a short-term result. After all, weed seeds do not germinate all at once – after the destruction of some, others will appear immediately. Perennial weeds are able to reproduce even tiny layers and pieces of roots. Mulching, fire treatment, the use of black agrofiber – control methods that are also used by gardeners. But they are not particularly effective.
Herbicides cope well with the task of weed control. These are chemicals that are designed specifically to kill weeds. The use of herbicides requires a competent approach, because in violation of technology can destroy crops, harm the environment and human health.
Classification of herbicides
You can use weed remedies at home. To do this, select the appropriate herbicides. They have their own classification:
How to use:
- Continuous agents are suitable for removing any types of weeds in the garden. But it is necessary to consider that processing also destroys cultural crops. Therefore, herbicides should be used before sowing, following it, after harvest. Herbicides are also suitable for packing abandoned land, prices for plowing, to reduce grass growing between cobblestones or paving slabs, as well. One of the well-known and widespread drugs of this action – “Hurricane forte”. The composition of selective drugs is suitable in such a way that they destroy only certain types of plants (for example, dicotyledonous or rhizomatous). Means allow to fight weeds without schools for crops.
- Effects on plants: contact weed killers only strengthen the parts of the plants they are looking for when processing. The active substance is not contained in general, so weeds can be distinguished again from intact roots. Systemic herbicides, after touching the leaves, penetrate into plant tissues and are transferred by vessels to other parts, including the root. This helps the residual weed death. Such tools are easy to use, so you do not need to participate in the program to help the plants completely. Antiburyan is one of the drugs in this group.
- Method of penetration: the main drugs are used after the transition of weeds. Processing by them is carried out according to instructions from terrestrial parts of plants. When using soil agents, the active substance penetrates from the soil through the root system of the weed.
- Packaging time: pre-emergence drugs to reduce weeds, the soil is treated before sowing crops or kept for 3-4 days after that. After transmission, these are selective herbicides that can be used to reduce certain weeds in certain crops.
There are various types of herbicides in agricultural chemistry, which can be used to cure weeds forever in cities, cottages, yards, vineyards, including.
Rules for choosing herbicides to get rid of weeds
Weeds cast control is most effective when it is properly selected and used for its purpose. To do this, return the following:
- For effective treatment of cities, lawns, agriculture and gardens are better suited to those other types of drugs. If you do not have experience in their use, you can contact our consultants to buy.
- Take into account the history of the site – which weeds grow mainly on it, which crop is grown.
- A much more effective invitation from weeds is possible if you choose the right processing time. This applies to both the time of receipt (processing of early entry or introduction after sunset) and the frequency of spraying.
- It is necessary to get acquainted with the norms of drug consumption. Effectively greeting from weeds is possible only when the concentration of the drug is optimal.
- Analysis of possible conditions will ensure maximum interaction of plants with active substances. Contact is enhanced by adding a special STEAM.
- When cultivating large areas of agricultural land, it is necessary to teach the type of soil and methods of its cultivation.
- Effective weeds control helps quality equipment. The working fluid must be sprayed with soap drops, which ensures effective incorporation.
Remember that with the help of herbicide weed control technologies, you can start a school of soil and your own health. Drugs should be used with the use of personal protective equipment. Keep them out of the reach of children and animals. If the means are used on the crop (selective action), it is necessary to maintain the recommended production time of harvest.
Fighting with weeds in “manual mode”
This type of weed control is aimed at digging the soil or pruning weeds. This method of struggle is very complex physically. Some weed species have such a branched root system that it is almost impossible to remove them manually.
Mowing weeds is not the most effective way to control them, as only the aboveground part is destroyed. The root that remains in the soil will germinate again after a while and the weed will begin to develop with new force.
Except for weeds, it will be worth knowing why is grass turning yellow? Read useful tips about how to solve this issue too.
Mulching as a way to control weeds
Mulching is an excellent, but not very fast, method of weed control. Its essence is as follows: the area where weeds grow should be covered with a dark or dense material that will not allow sunlight to penetrate into the soil. In this environment, weeds do not grow and they begin to die.
This method is most appropriate to use when growing garden crops. It is necessary to cover the area on which crops will grow and in the cover material to make holes for planting. The whole soil will be hidden from the sun and weeds will not be able to grow, and it will not affect the cultivation of plants.
Folk methods to defeat the weeds cast
Folk remedies for weeds involve the preparation of various solutions that help control weeds. The most effective substances in this fight are considered to be salt and vinegar.
The salt solution, getting into the soil, prevents the growth of the root system of plants. Therefore, it is enough to pour the desired area with saline solution and the result will not wait. The main disadvantage – treated with this solution, the soil will be unsuitable for growing plants for several seasons.
A vinegar to overcome the weeds
Vinegar solutions can also give good results in weed control. But the disadvantage is that vinegar destroys not only weeds, but also cultivated plants that grow on the site. Therefore, it can be used selectively and only on those soils on which cultivated plants do not grow.
Broadleaf weeds, weeds with purple flowers and finger-grasses weeds
A lot of broadleaf weeds and weeds with purple flowers can be very useful in medicine. Or even you can make some kind of tea from its purple flowers or broadleaves. Those purple weeds are well known and they appear at each lawn every season. For example: Pink Sow Thistle, or Cirsium arvense, Common Chernogolovka, Primorskaya Armeria, Sycamore Stork. All these weeds have purple flowers.
There are some types of weeds that look like grass. That is why you need to be attentive to those. For example a few of them: Nutsedge (Cyperus sp.), Creeping bentgrass (Agrostis palustris), Quackgrass (Elymus repens), Wheatgrass (Elytrigia repens) etc. Remember that your lawn must look healthy and you need to take care of it. The less weeds will appear on your lawn the healthier it will be. So kill weeds not grass – and the way you will make that depends only on yourself.
Many herbs are actually distant cousins of gourmet edible greens. However, they contain more nutrients than their cultivated relatives. For example, here are some finger grasses that will not interfere with your lawn and will not harm your lawn: Portulaca oleracea, Oxalis, Chenopodium Album, Stellaria media, Viola.
What will reduce the amount of weeds on the lawn
Steaming lawn area
The territory, carefully dug up, but not yet sown with lawn grass, is left free for the whole summer, periodically processing it with a rake. All weeds that appear on the site at this time are weeded with a hoe or with the help of a contact herbicide such as diquat, glyphosate.
Purchase of high quality turf and planting material
The acquired turf should be free of weeds. If weeds are still found when laying the turf, they must be removed immediately. A good mixture for planting lawn grass does not include perennial ryegrass, more precisely, its broad-leaved varieties.
Proper lawn care
Lawn care that minimizes the chance of weed growth includes:
- Timely watering – its absence, especially in a dry season, causes a thinning of the lawn grass, in the place of which weeds instantly grow after rain.
- Fertilization – promotes the growth of lawn flora, there is simply no room for weeds on the site.
- Regular cutting – the height of the grass after cutting should not be less than 2 cm. Optimal – 4–6 cm.