Why is my freezer not freezing? Main reasons why the freezer not working well.
What happened to the refrigerator if the freezer suddenly stopped freezing? In general, the main complaint from customers about a non-working refrigerator is that it does not cool the refrigerator compartment.
Table of Contents
- The freezer not working and not freezing
- How does the refrigerator work
- What if the freezer stops freezing?
- What to check first if the freezer not cooling down
- Air sensor
- Thermostat (thermostat)
- Switching valve
- Freon leak
- Control module
- 9 reasons why the freezer not freezing
- Video troubleshooting when freezer not working
The freezer not working and not freezing
Even the highest quality equipment tends to fail during operation. If you notice that the motor-compressor does not turn on, the electronics are malfunctioning, the freezer has stopped freezing food properly, and its inner lining is defective, then you cannot do without the help of an experienced craftsman.
Entrust refrigerator repairs to highly qualified service center engineers. Professionals will carry out all the necessary work with a quality guarantee and as soon as possible.
How does the refrigerator work
The refrigerator’s functioning technology depends on its type and model (single-chamber or two-chamber, single-engine or twin-engine, electromechanical or electronic, with a crying evaporator or with “No Frost” and “Full No Frost” technologies).
At the same time, the principle of operation of all-refrigerators is similar and consists of pumping freon through the refrigeration circuit. This substance is capable of rapidly changing from a liquid to a gaseous state, depending on the magnitude of the pressure.
On the rear wall of the unit, due to the presence of a capillary tube, the pressure increases (the refrigerant is liquefied), and on the evaporator, it decreases (the refrigerant evaporates). This process is the key to forcing cold in the chambers. The pressure required for the movement of freon through the cooling system is created by a motor compressor – the main part of any refrigeration equipment.
Check our previous article about what to do if AC is not cooling.
What if the freezer stops freezing?
It is necessary to disconnect the refrigerator from the mains and try to establish the preliminary cause of the breakdown in order to inform the master about it. In most cases, this can be done based on the external manifestations of the malfunction. We strongly advise against making repairs yourself. Only an experienced technician will be able to quickly and safely eliminate the problems that have arisen without damaging important and expensive parts of the device.
What to check first if the freezer not cooling down
First of all, check the position of the thermostat. You could inadvertently set it to the minimum mark at which the freezer compartment thaws. You should also make sure that there is no ice on the walls. It can damage the rubber door seal or simply prevent it from closing tightly, causing heat to enter the chamber.
In this case, a complete defrosting of the unit or replacement of the sealing lip will help. If the above problems are resolved, but the freezer still does not work, then you are faced with an internal breakdown and you should seek professional help.
If you are the owner of a single-engine unit, then if the motor-compressor breaks down, there will be no cold in all compartments. If only the freezer has stopped freezing, and the refrigerator is working, then the device is equipped with two compressors. In this case, the freezer motor will usually start for 3-5 seconds and shut off.
Reasons for the malfunction:
– the components of the compressor engine are worn out;
– the stator winding of the electric motor has cut off (you can smell the burning smell);
– the start-up relay, which is responsible for starting and timely shutdown of the compressor, has failed (if the motor does not turn on at all and clicks are heard);
– excessive load on the motor. For example, the user often switches the thermostat to maximum freezing or operational cooling.
This part is installed in electronically controlled units. A faulty sensor is giving incorrect signals to the control module or not at all. Accordingly, the processor does not understand that the temperature in the freezer has exceeded the permissible value and does not command the start-up relay to start the motor. At the same time, the compressor functions properly, but there are long pauses between its starts.
This unit is an integral part of electromechanical refrigerators and is a mechanically controlled temperature controller. The thermoregulator bellows, depending on the pressure in the system, bends and straightens, thereby closing and opening the contacts. Accordingly, the absence of frost is a consequence of a breakdown of the thermostat, which is not able to close the contacts to start the engine.
If the freezer continues to work, but does not freeze well (the freezing is not deep enough), then the reason should be sought in the faulty valve for switching between cooling modes. Most often, a breakdown manifests itself in the sticking of the valve on the simultaneous generation of frost in the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Such malfunctions are inherent in single-motor devices with a crying evaporator or an automatic defrosting system “No Frost”. The valve must be replaced as the motor-compressor does double work in this case and wears out much faster.
- Leakage of refrigerant due to mechanical damage to the refrigeration circuit. It is strongly not recommended to accelerate the defrosting process by breaking off the ice with a knife or placing a bowl of boiling water in the chamber. This can provoke a puncture of the evaporator or the formation of microcracks in it.
- Freezer compartment channels or condenser tubes are worn out or corroded;
- bent tubes of the motor-compressor;
- the refrigeration circuit is damaged.
- the motor does not turn on, rarely turns off or runs continuously;
- in all compartments or in one of the compartments, the temperature is significantly higher than normal;
- the evaporator is covered with ice;
- the condenser is cold (during normal operation, the condenser tubes heat up).
- Leakage of refrigerant through the steel circuit. Owners of units may encounter such a breakdown, the refrigerating chamber of which is equipped with a crying evaporator, and the freezer compartment is located below.
- the body of the appliance is covered with rust near the freezer;
- the freezer did not freeze well for a long time, after which it abruptly stopped even cooling the food.
The cause of the leak is a clogged drainage system. The water does not leave or evaporate, so a puddle of thawed ice forms under the boxes. All liquid drains onto the body of the freezer. If the plastic protection of the steel circuit is defective, then moisture gets on it. The metal will certainly be affected by corrosion, and over time, all the freon will flow out through the formed microcracks.
If the freezer does not freeze, but no external manifestations of this “ailment” were found, then it is necessary to diagnose the operability of the control module. Only refrigerators with an electronic control system are equipped with this part.
Due to damage to the electronic components of the printed circuit board or some critical system errors, the computer stopped signaling certain nodes to keep the freezer compartment cold. Reflash the electronic module or replace the board.
9 reasons why the freezer not freezing
Now you know that there are at least 9 main reasons that cause the freezer to thaw:
- breakdown of the motor-compressor;
- abrasion or fatigue failure of engine components;
- malfunction of the start-up relay;
- lack of signals from the air sensor;
- failure of the thermostat (thermostat);
- sticking changeover valve;
- freon leakage through damaged elements of the refrigeration circuit;
- freon leakage through the steel circuit;
- control module defects or processor system failures.
These breakdowns can occur singly or in combination, but to eliminate them, you must have a thorough knowledge of the device of all refrigerator units and the skills of working with special equipment.