Wood Writing – The Best Tips to Help How to Write on Wood
Today we will go through some types of wood writing or how lots of you say “Wood painting” technique and its features.
One of the oldest forms of creativity and drawing is painting on wood. This method of decoration was widely distributed in all the world, with the help of paints painted wooden boards, decorated panels, trays and caskets. To learn how to decorate wooden objects yourself, you just need to learn the basic painting techniques.
Painting wood with watercolors and its features
The technology of painting wooden substrates with watercolors involves the rapid application of paint to the surface. Some argue that watercolor is completely unsuitable for such coatings, because the abundant wetting of a tree leads to its damage. You can correct the situation and learn how to do wood painting with watercolors correctly – you just need to choose the right technique.
For beginners, painting with watercolors should not be a complicated procedure, you can practice on wooden blanks in the form of nesting dolls. After the translation of the drawing, it is necessary to spend 1 time with a wet brush over the area of the workpiece that needs to be painted. This is done for better adhesion of the paint. First, large sections are painted in stages, after which they give color to the details.
The use of watercolors on wood has a number of features
- The ability to create light and airy images, equipping them with shadows and color transitions;
- Lack of smear relief, which cannot be said about painting wooden bases with acrylic or oil paints;
- A face painted on a wood with watercolors most faithfully conveys shades;
- The ability to mix watercolors with other types of paints for painting on wood.
The finished product can be coated with clear varnish. Backgrounds on the panels also decorate with watercolors, because this paint is a pigment diluted with water, which is most suitable for large areas.
Gouache for painting as an alternative
Kitchen chopping board is one of the practical items for regular household use. To make this accessory daily pleasing to the eye, it is recommended to paint it, you can do this with gouache paints on wood. Such a coloring material is similar to acrylic, but it loses a bit in terms of saturation.
Gouache painting on wood consists of the following steps:
- Sanding the board. If the surface of the product was not even enough, it must be polished with sandpaper.
- Structure protection. If the board does not have a varnish coating, it must be treated with a stain.
- Priming. For this, acrylic of any suitable color is used. A wooden board should be carefully coated with paint without spaces. This will facilitate easy and quick coloring.
- Picture. After translating the image or self-drawing, you need to start painting on the board. For beginners, it is better to choose simple ornaments or floral motifs. Before painting the wood with gouache, you can add a little PVA glue to the jar for better adhesion.
- Varnishing. After the end of the process, it is recommended to open the product with varnish. You can use any composition that is at home, but odorless acrylic varnish is considered the most suitable.
Methods for transferring a drawing to a base
Some lovers of wood painting only with experience begin to independently draw pictures on a wood. Beginners of such an activity are not able to do, so the question arises, what are the ways to transfer a picture to a wooden base?
You can learn more about them below:
Carbon paper. This method is considered the simplest – it requires the presence of an ordinary dark or (in the case of a black base) carbon paper. The printed sheet is superimposed on a carbon paper, under which a wooden blank is placed. With the help of a pen, the pattern is completely outlined. As a result, an image is formed on the blank that can be painted. The resulting painted product is neat.
Tracing paper. So that the painting has beautiful borders, you can use tracing paper. To do this, it is imposed on the prepared drawing and circled it along the contours. Next, the sheet is turned over and rubbed abundantly with graphite. After that, tracing paper is placed on the tree and the image is circled with a sharp object. Using this method, you can actually draw even the most complex patterns.
Soap. The method is similar to the previous one, however, it is good when the templates for painting are transferred to a black surface. It is necessary to repeat the same operations, only rub the tracing paper not with graphite, but with soap.
To hone their skills, experts recommend using different painting techniques on wood. It’s nice to draw on a former wooden base under a tray, on a casket or other things. The received products can be presented as a gift or decorate the house with them.
Pyrography – is a type of wood burning
At present, the art of wood burning (pyrography) is becoming increasingly popular. At the same time, this hobby attracts not only children, but also adults. After all, you can burn beautiful pictures with your own hands, decorate ordinary boring wooden things with a pattern.
Burning on the wood is associated with folk traditions. Moreover, in those days, his main role was the decorative processing of pieces of wood. Now wood burning is an independent technique for decorating surfaces made of wood.
Using the burning technique, one can achieve very spectacular and original decorative ornaments suitable for decorating various caskets, furniture, boards and other items made of wood.
To burn wood, you need a special device called an electric burner. It consists of a metal pen that is attached to a pen. The pen consists of a wire of various thicknesses made of nichrome. This is necessary so that the pattern is obtained with lines that vary in thickness. Burning devices with various nozzles of various shapes and thicknesses are also now available.
The pen of the device can heat up to high temperatures; therefore, when working with it, it is very important to observe safety precautions and at the same time not to allow contact with clothes or hair.
Operating procedure. Tips for beginners:
- You need to pick up wood that is suitable for burning. It is advisable to use birch, linden, poplar, alder or chestnut. In addition, use ordinary plywood as a base.
- Before the burning procedure, it is necessary to prepare the surface of the wood previously sanding it. The wood for this process must be very dry. On the surface of the board you need to apply a sketch, drawing or any pattern. You can use carbon paper for this.
- The pen of the device, as a rule, is held in the hand in the same way as a regular pen for writing. The temperature controller makes it possible to adjust the required degree of glow of the pen itself before starting work. The readiness of the pen for burning is determined by the glow and colors. It should be noted that it should be dark red.
- To make the lines in the picture thinner, you need to drive with the pen very quickly. If thick lines are required, then everything needs to be done exactly the opposite. You should not very strongly press the feather to a wooden surface and at the same time slow down its progress.
- The finished work must be carefully processed with sandpaper with fine grain, and after that it can be painted with ordinary paints. In the end, the work must be varnished.
Paint Pens & Markers for Wood
It’s important to choose the right type of paint pens when you’re working on a creative project with a wooden surface. The wrong paint will smear or fade, while specifically designed markers will look great and last over time. Have you ever wondered how cafes and restaurants make those crafty, cozy – style signs? Are you an artist looking for a new medium to work with? Then paint pens are your ticket to creating eye-catching designs for your upcoming party or project. Once you own a pack of these, the potential for creative project ideas is endless.
There are lots of reasons to need paint pens for wood, from personal to professional projects. Paint pens offer the vibrancy of markers with the opaque quality of paint and the benefit of easy control. The way they are designed makes it simple to add some color to your life, whether you wish to make a mural or create a sign. Let’s look at some of the best pens on the market for painting on wood.
The Best Paint Pens for Wood
Every item on this list was specifically chosen for its affordability, quality, and overall value for the price. We will go into detail about each of them below.
- Elmer’s Painters Opaque Paint Markers
- Sakura Pen-Touch Markers
- Molotow Acrylic Paint Marker
- Uni-posca Paint Markers
- Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Markers
- How to Correctly Use Paint Markers
So you’re ready to start your wooden painting project. It may sound simple at first glance, but if you want your project to turn out as beautiful as possible, you’ll want to follow some key tips. Paint pens and markers were developed originally for uses in industrial settings. However, some enthusiasts, crafters, and other artistic people have discovered that they are also a great tool for creative projects. Compared to traditional markers, these are a little more high-maintenance.
Follow these tips to use them correctly
Keep the Cap on: When you first use your new marker, you have to shake it for up to a minute to mix up the contents. When you do this, you’ll hear the ball ratting inside like you would with a spray paint can. Keep the lid on as you shake the pen or you risk getting paint splatters all over your clothes or table. This is something you don’t want to learn the hard way!
Priming the Pen Nip: As soon as you’ve shaken and mixed up the paint, it’s time to prime the marker nib, or the tip that you use to apply the ink. To prime the marker tip, get a napkin and push down on it a few times. This is done to get the paint to flow into the tip. This should only be done after you’ve shaken the pen enough or the paint will become runny.
Writing Tips: As soon as you’ve primed the nib, it’s time to draw or write with your new pen! Go easy on the pressure or you might send too much paint to the tip and cause a pool of paint on your surface. Just glide the pen tip easily across the wood (or other surface) until the paint runs out. When this happens, return to your napkin to prime the nib again.
Re-shaking the Marker: You will need to shake your pen again every so often once the paint begins to thin. Before you start shaking it, put the lid on again until it clicks.
Proper storage is extremely important with your paint markers. Just put the caps back on (you’ll know they are secure once you hear the click), and put them away horizontally. When you use them again, you can wipe the tips with a bit of paint thinner if they seem dry. Following all of these proper use and care instructions will help you get the best results with your paint markers.
Painting wooden objects is easy. Having mastered one of the proposed techniques and choosing the right paint, you can create real masterpieces by making your home or apartment interior truly unique.